Copper vs Stainless Steel
If you are looking for high-end materials, then stainless steel and copper are definitely the two to consider. Both of them are quite expensive, but they have many unique benefits that homeowners are sure to love. Copper is more commonly used, but stainless steel is just as good in many regards. Contrasting these materials can be difficult because there are more similarities than differences, but they do have some differences that homeowners should consider.
Copper Rain Gutters
- Copper gutters are expected to last many decades. Many experts say that these gutters can last over 100 years with basic maintenance, which makes them the best in terms of longevity.
- Most professionals will solder the joints before installing the copper gutters. This keeps the joints from leaking.
- It’s almost impossible for these metals to rust, but copper resists rust just a little better than stainless steel. At the same time, the vast majority of homeowners won’t even need to worry about rust with these materials.
- Both of these materials are expensive, but copper is often more expensive. This may sometimes change based on the current market value, but you should expect to pay more for copper.
- Copper is very difficult to install. This should only be left to professionals who have a team of workers.
Stainless Steel Rain Gutters
- Stainless steel will shine and remain a consistent color for many years. Copper will eventually fade into a green patina. Some people like patina, but those who want a consistent color will prefer stainless steel.
- Though both materials are very tough and hard, stainless steel is often called “indestructible.” It’s slightly more durable than copper, which is beneficial in harsh environments.
- Much easier to install because it’s lighter and relatively easy to work with.
- These gutters might cost as much copper ones, but they typically won’t increase your home’s value as much as copper. If you want to sell your home for the most money, then you might want to choose copper.
- Many people consider copper aesthetically better because stainless steel gutters look like other common materials.
Want to know more?
Please see our Rain Gutter Material Comparison page for more information